Friday 1 June 2012

Talks, Seminars and Funding Bids

Welcome back to some more adventures with Autism Works. I am well-known for taking a long time to settle down back into home life after being away for a while, but this year, it seems to have taken me a little longer, despite having been back home for almost a month since my holiday! Then it suddenly occurs to me that it is the first day of June and I have a busy time coming up of presentations! added to that, I am also due to start working on my first funding bid since were were awarded Social Innovation Pioneers status by Deloitte.

After a month of places as diverse as Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam, the next few weeks sees me visit the delights of Cheshire, Hertfordshire and London to give talks and seminars, together with some publicity for Autism Works. On June 16th, I will be giving a seminar on Aperger's Syndrome and Employment at The Autism Show, which takes place at Excel London, near Canary Wharf. Readers of this blog may remember that at last year's inaugural I got to meet Jane Asher. After speaking on the theme of Asperger's Syndrome and Mindfulness Techniques last year, I am looking forward to revisiting to talk about how to shape working environments around employees with Asperger's Syndrome. As you will see on the Autism Talks programme (in association with Autistic Rights Movement UK), there are some interesting speakers giving their perspective  of autism and Asperger's Syndrome on a range of themes.

Back at Autism Works, we are just about to commence on putting together another funding bid, this time to the Investment and Contract Readiness Fund. As readers may remember, we have been unsuccessful with previous bids we have put in because we have been 'too small' to have any real impact. Now though, that we have more employees than we did back then as well as having successfully completed testing contracts together with the doors that being a Deloitte Social Innovation Pioneer has opened for us, we should be better placed to apply this time.

Away from work, after finally regaining some momentum after my 'holiday hangover', I have been doing much preparation work for my talks next month, as well as getting my training back on track for this year's Bupa Great North Run as well as my campaign to summit Kilimanjaro in October 2013. The talks also present a good opportunity for me to promote my campaign as well as the work done by Daisy Chain, particularly as 3,000 people are expected to attend this year's Autism Show. I have had some more very generous donations over the last two weeks. To find out how this is progressing or to donate, visit the following link - http://www.justgiving.com/Chris-MitchellGNR

Over the next week there are two events coming up relating to my special interests, starting with Vesak on June 2nd, celebrating the birth, enlightenment and passing into Nirvana of the Buddha and then on June 5-6th the Transit of Venus. Last visible in 2004, this transit will be the last opportunity to view it until the year 2117, so hopefully the skies will be clearer than they are forecast for Bank Holiday weekend!

To find out how these events go, stay tuned to Adventures with Autism Works!


No comments:

Post a Comment